Friday, August 1, 2014

Replacing Unity on Ubuntu Trusty Tahr with Cinnamon Desktop and Cairo Dock

As I said in an earlier post back in January 2013, I am not a fan of Unity which is the default desktop installed with Ubuntu Trusty Tahr.

I rather like the Cairo Dock to get a Mac-like menu, application, notification, icon list thingy at the bottom of the desktop and have used Cairo Dock way back to Lucid Lynx (which was 2010).

I also run Cinnamon Desktop as the default desktop and run Cairo Dock at start up. I auto-hide the Cinnamon panel at the top of the screen. The notification area for icons is much better with Gnome so I need the panel to be able to see some of the IBM specific notification icons. Auto-hide at the top so you do not see the panel and it takes up zero screen space, but is still available when needed.

To install Cairo Dock, I followed the steps:

% sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cairo-dock-team/ppa
% sudo apt-get update
% sudo apt-get install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins


To install Cinnamon Desktop, I followed the steps:

% sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lestcape/cinnamon
% sudo apt-get update
% sudo apt-get install cinnamon


To run Cinnamon, you select the desktop using the icon below the password on the Ubuntu login screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment