Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Installing Eclipse 4.2.1 on Ubuntu Quantal Quetzal 64bit Linux

Now that I have a 64 bit Linux, I can install the 64 bit version of Eclipse. The Eclipse is the base for my Java and Javascript development environment on Rational Team Concert.

When starting RTC and updating a work item, I hit an error:

No more handles [Unknown Mozilla path (MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME not set)]

Looking up the workaround for running the Rational Team Concert Eclipse client on 64-bit Linux I found out that there is a problem with XULRunner on this version of Linux.

Upon further investigation, the Eclipse Internal Web Browser was also unavailable with the same problem.

I found some Eclipse SWT references and several other sources that attempted to describe how to fix the problem. After several trial and error attempts, I found installing XULRunner 10.0.2 with the Eclipse 4.2.1 I was using worked best.

I started with the eclipse-SDK-4.2.1-linux-gtk-x86_64 that was the Juno SR1 download.

I downloaded the XULRunner 10.0.2 64 bit Linux runtime directly from the Mozilla downloads site.

One the runtime is downloaded:

% bunzip2 xulrunner-10.0.2.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
% tar xvf xulrunner-10.0.2.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar


which created the xulrunner folder. To make it clear the XULRunner version and put in a shared location:

% mv xulrunner  xulrunner-10.0.2.en-US.linux-x86_64
% sudo mv xulrunner-10.0.2.en-US.linux-x86_64/ /usr/lib


Now I updated the Eclipse:

% vi /eclipse/eclipse-SDK-4.2.1-linux-gtk-x86_64/eclipse.ini

and added the line:

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=/usr/lib/xulrunner-10.0.2.en-US.linux-x86_64

This solves the issue, the internal browser and RTC now work fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment