Tuesday, December 4, 2012

First Post: Why a Ubuntu Blog?

I have been a UNIX user since 1985 and a Ubuntu user since Edgy Eft in 2006. I am a Microsoft Windows hater so have run Linux on my various ThinkPads as long as it has been possible.

Once of the "problems" with Linux is that it takes quite a bit of "hands on" maintenance to get things working just right. Rather than using system update, I have found it also works better to do a fresh install with each new Ubuntu release.

I have been running Oneiric Ocelot for quite some time and I skipped a release waiting to install a 64bit Ubuntu on my Lenovo ThinkPad W520. Now that it has been more than a year running on 11.10, I have found it difficult to remember all the things I did to get the release running the way I wanted.

So now that I am installing Quantal Quetzal, I thought it a good idea to actually record all the little tweaks I need to do to get the system running. It will be a good reference when moving to the next release.

No comments:

Post a Comment